Friday, December 11, 2015

Will Someone Pull the Fire Alarm?

An Excerpt from The 25th Hour (Book One in The Adventures of Mackenzie Mortimer):

Mackenzie rushed in through the doorway moments before the bell tolled the start of history class and sat next to Marlene.

“Good morning, Mac. I thought you might be skipping today when I saw you weren’t in homeroom.”

He gave a sheepish grin. “I had a late start this morning. I had to finish my term paper. You know how important it is to our course grade and Mr. Larson’s not accepting any excuses for being late with it. I’ll fail history if I don’t turn it in today.”

“You shouldn’t have waited until the last minute to write it. At least you completed it. You did finish it, didn’t you?”

“Of course.” Mackenzie’s sheepish expression returned. “Although I did have to use my twenty-fifth hour this morning to get it done in time.”

Marlene was aghast. “Mac, you did it again? Using up your hour at the start of the day? Now you can’t use the pocket watch today, since you’ve sworn not to override its safety feature again, so you don’t end up trapped in the past or the future. I thought you had finally become responsible.”

“Not failing history is being responsible, Marlene. I have become responsible. I was on time for class and I have my term paper right…” Mackenzie’s face turned ashen. “Right on my kitchen table, where I left it.” He struck his forehead with the palm of his hand. “That’s it. I’m dead. I’ll be spending all summer making up history in summer school. Maybe I’ll get lucky and someone will pull the fire alarm as an end-of-school-prank in the next hour.”


Available in paperback or Kindle exclusively on Amazon.com


Time is running out… fortunately, Mackenzie Mortimer has a few more minutes than anyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment