Tuesday, May 17, 2016

A Time Travel Conundrum

An Excerpt from The Tomorrow Paradox (Book Two in The Adventures of Mackenzie Mortimer):


Mackenzie crawled out of the hover pod and walked to the closet, which his father had stocked with several 21st century outfits for him. Mackenzie brushed aside the strange clothing and reached for his street clothes. He pulled the black, iron key from his pants pocket and carried it back to his pod. “This key will be in my pocket, traveling back in time with me.” He studied the key intently. Mackenzie pondered whether the return trip would take its toll on him and age his body, and if this might be the trip that sends him back in time to encounter himself and give himself the key. “Am I destined to be the ancient time traveler? If I travel back in time in a few days, will I age to the point where I don’t recognize myself? All this time, I’ve kept this heavy black key to Gramps’ trunk in my pocket as a good luck charm. What if it’s a symbol of my doom, instead? Within seconds of arriving home, I’ll give myself this key and crumble into dust. Maybe Dad’s right. Maybe I should stay here. I’d be safe, and I do have family here.

“But then I’d never see Mom or Marlene again. I’d be leaving behind all my friends: Vanessa, Zigs, Brooke, and even Tucker. Besides, if I don’t go back, I won’t be there to marry Alex’s mother when the time comes, whomever she turns out to be. Staying here would be like aborting my own son. Then again, if I’m disintegrated minutes after returning, Alex will never be born anyway. I’ll die without marrying and having a son, prompting yet another time paradox.” He squeezed the iron key. “I don’t know what to do. Do I remain in the relative safety of the future with my father and adult son or risk returning home? If only Marlene were here, she’d know what to do.”

Mackenzie sat up. “That’s it; that’s the answer. That’s why I set off after Marlene on my bike. I knew it the minute Zigs told me Marlene was going to Ferncrest Academy and I’d never see her again. I need Marlene in my life. She’s my rock and my foundation. There’s only one choice I can make, regardless of the consequences.” Mackenzie walked to the closet and took out his street clothes. He dressed, pocketing the key and the diary. He would have liked to have spent more time with his father and his son, and to have seen the wonders of the future, but he knew what he had to do, and he wanted to attempt it while he still had the courage. Mackenzie took a deep breath, as he prepared to risk his life in an attempt to return to his friends and family in his own time period. He held up his left hand, gazing at the wristwatch Alex had given him. The fingers of his right hand hovered over the watch stems. Before he could activate the time travel controls, the door to his hospital room burst open.

Available in paperback or Kindle exclusively on Amazon.com




Time is running out… fortunately, Mackenzie Mortimer has a few more minutes than anyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment