Tuesday, May 24, 2016

We’re Fugitives… Like Bonnie and Calvin

An Excerpt from The Tomorrow Paradox (Book Two in The Adventures of Mackenzie Mortimer):

“Who is this girl?” Raymond asked.

“Gee, Dad,” Mackenzie replied. “You act like this is the first time I’ve brought a friend home for dinner. You remember, back home, my friend Marlene used to come over for dinner all the time.”

“I’m delighted you’re making friends so quickly, but I’d like to know a little more about the people who befriend my son. We have to talk about why you left the hospital.”

“I’d like to know how you bypassed all of Mortimer Enterprises’ security and managed to catch us by surprise in our own office,” Alex said.

“Oh, that’s easy,” Gemma replied. “We walked right past the security bots after he froze time. I’m still trying to figure out the elevator trick, though.”

Raymond’s jaw dropped. “This girl knows you can freeze time?”

Mackenzie nodded. “That’s sort of how we escaped from the hospital. I had to get Gemma out of there without being followed.”

“Have you any idea of the danger you’ve placed us in?” Raymond asked. “If this girl were to tell the police we possess time travel technology, we’d all be arrested.”

Mackenzie smiled. “Gemma’s not going to the police. She’s running from them. That’s the last place she’d ever go. We’re fugitives… like Bonnie and Calvin.”

“Clyde,” Gemma corrected him. “Bonnie and Clyde.”

“They were gangsters in the 1930s—”

Raymond interrupted his son. “I know who they were. I’m more interested in knowing why you left the hospital.”

“Dad, we had to leave. They were going to take Gemma back to the institute. That place is like a prison. The next time they let her out, it would’ve been to kill her.”

“What institute?” Raymond asked. “What are you talking about?”

“The Simulacrum Institute,” Gemma said.

“You’re a clone?” Alex asked.

Mackenzie placed his arm around Gemma. “She’s a person. A person in trouble. Gemma’s my friend, and I’m helping her. We need your help. But if you’re as prejudiced as everybody else in this era, then I’ll find a way to do it without you.”


Available in paperback or Kindle exclusively on Amazon.com





Time is running out… fortunately, Mackenzie Mortimer has a few more minutes than anyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment