Wednesday, June 1, 2011

An Excerpt: Meet Sharon Mordecai

Sharon put her book down on the nightstand. She decided reading Poe was a mistake, since she was already jumping at shadows. The apartment was too quiet at night and the slightest rustling of the tree branch against her window startled her. She had resolved not to move back in with her parents but the idea of advertising for a roommate was becoming appealing. She heard the tapping again. Someone was stalking her; by now, Sharon was convinced. She glanced at the phone. How tempting it was to call her father. He would rush right over. Sharon knew he would keep her safe — if only she wouldn’t be stifled in the process. Besides, her father worried enough about her; why give him actual cause for concern? No, she had to do this on her own. She was a Mordecai — whatever lay ahead, she could handle it.

Sharon walked from the bedroom to the front door. She opened it and stepped onto the porch. “Hello? Who’s there?”

Silence greeted her. Perhaps it was just the wind. Then again…

Sharon closed the door, but refrained from latching it. It drifted back open as she returned to her bed. She turned out the light and switched on the small bedside lamp on the nightstand. And waited.

Sharon felt herself drifting off to sleep. She tried to stay awake, reminding herself that she would have to lock the front door before falling asleep. The stalker may not have fallen into her trap, but an open door was still an invitation for burglary. She was about to force her eyes open, when she heard her name.

“Sharon.”

She knew she was still awake and that the woman’s voice meant the intruder was in her bedroom watching her. She wondered if the intruder would leave if she kept her eyes closed and feigned sleeping.

“Sharon.”

No. The stalker was real, that much was now certain. She knew all about Sharon, and Sharon knew nothing about her. She had to learn her identity, if only to reclaim an iota of control. Sharon opened her eyes and saw the strawberry-blonde girl standing at the foot of her bed.

“Who are you? Why have you been stalking me?”

“You know who I am, Sharon. I’ve missed you so much. But I’ve watched over you nearly every night.”

“What do you want from me?”

“I want my BFF back. I want us to be like before.”

“What before?” Sharon asked.

“You, me, Artemus, Claude, Valentina… Remick driving us to clubs in the limo… the discos… Damn it, Sharon, when was your nightlife ever about curling up in bed with a book?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Yes, you do. Look at me. Don’t you recognize me?”

Sharon stared at the girl in the lamplight. “I don’t know you; but there is something familiar about you. It’s like there’s a fog. It hurts to think.”

“What did they do to you?”

“No one did anything to me, Panda. Just leave me alone!” Sharon screamed.

“You called me Panda. You’re remembering.”

“No! Stay back.” Sharon reached under her pillow and pulled out Lou’s revolver. She aimed it at Pandora. “My father taught me to shoot. I won’t miss. Turn around and go now.”

“You’re leaving me with no choice. This isn’t how I wanted to do it.” Pandora approached, baring her fangs.

Sharon fired off three shots in rapid succession.


Halos & Horns: Book 2 - And A Child Shall Lead Them ... It's always better the second time around!




Softcover edition. 362 pages.