Thursday, May 19, 2016

From A Clone’s Perspective

An Excerpt from The Tomorrow Paradox (Book Two in The Adventures of Mackenzie Mortimer):

Gemma laughed. “I have all we need.” She held up her opened palm. “I’m the clone of a rich woman’s granddaughter, remember? We share the same DNA. My fingerprints are her fingerprints; my eyes are her eyes.”

“So what?”

“Everything is purchased with credit, deducted electronically from people’s bank accounts. Money isn’t something you carry around; it’s digital data stored in cyberspace and accessed through biometrics.”

“Bio-what?” Mackenzie asked.

“You must know. All my knowledge comes from what I’ve gleaned from living vicariously on the neural net, but you live here in the outside world, not locked away in the institute like me.”

“Um, I’m visiting my relatives here but I’m from another place that’s a lot different, so you’ll have to fill me in on some things.”

Gemma squinted at Mackenzie, but proceeded to explain. “All the stores have scanners. They read your eyes, your facial features, or your fingerprints whenever you buy something. That’s how they know who you are and which electronic bank account is yours.” She wiggled her forefinger. “We can buy breakfast with my fingerprint.”

“You have a bank account?”

“Of course not; I’m a clone. But my original has one, and I’m sure it’s a very, very big one. And I have her fingerprints.” Gemma laughed.

Mackenzie cocked his head. “Isn’t that like stealing?”

Gemma shot him a reproving glance. “You mean it’s all right for her to take my organs but not to buy me breakfast?”

Mackenzie grimaced. “I suppose, when you put it that way, it does make sense. Let eat.”

Available in paperback or Kindle exclusively on Amazon.com





Time is running out… fortunately, Mackenzie Mortimer has a few more minutes than anyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment