Sunday, May 22, 2016

They Killed Bonnie and Clyde

An Excerpt from The Tomorrow Paradox (Book Two in The Adventures of Mackenzie Mortimer):

A few minutes later, they had checked out of the grocery store and were eating their cereal behind the building. Gemma was glowing. “This is so exciting! I’m not just reading about things; I’m actually doing them. I’ve seen stores on the neural net all of my life, but this was the first time I set foot inside one. Being a fugitive is so cool! We’re like Bonnie and Clyde, Kenzie.”

“Who?”

“They were just like us. A boy and a girl, on the run, hiding from the authorities… well, maybe not exactly like us. They were gangsters in the 1930s. I read all about them and even watched a holo-vid on them. They robbed banks all across the country. Of course, those kind of banks don’t exist anymore.”

“What kind of banks?” Mackenzie asked.

“The kind where they keep paper money. The only brick and mortar banks around today are bio banks.”

“What sort of bank is that?”

“A safe place to store biological matter: DNA, stem cells, sperm, and blood. People make deposits throughout their lives so they can withdraw what they need later.” Her voice faltered. “I suppose my blood and leftover parts will end up in a bio bank once I die, after they cut me open and remove one of my vital organs to keep my original alive.”

Mackenzie reached out and grasped her hand, squeezing it. “Hey, that’s not going to happen. We’re on the run, remember?” He smiled reassuringly. “Like Bonnie and Clyde.”

Gemma looked up from her cereal and wiped a tear from her eye. “They caught Bonnie and Clyde; riddled their bodies with bullets.”

Available in paperback or Kindle exclusively on Amazon.com





Time is running out… fortunately, Mackenzie Mortimer has a few more minutes than anyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment