Monday, June 20, 2016

But… You’ll Die.”

An Excerpt from The Tomorrow Paradox (Book Two in The Adventures of Mackenzie Mortimer):


Mackenzie leaned in to Gemma, with a concerned look on his face. He whispered, “What are you going to do the next time Brandy needs a vital organ you don’t have two of? You’ll have to make a decision then, whether to give up your life for Brandy. If you leave now, you can go anywhere in the world, and never fear having someone cut out your organs.”

“Don’t you see, Kenzie. I have everything I’ve ever wanted, everything I could only dream about. I have my freedom, my individuality, and a family.” She looked at Brandy, Victoria, Drake, and Lysander. “Admittedly, a rather dysfunctional family, but aren’t they all?”

“But the next time Brandy falls ill and needs a transplant…”

“Then, I’ll be there for her. But not because I’m forced to. But because it will be my decision; my choice. That’s what freedom is all about. It doesn’t matter if the outcome is the same; it’s all about having the choice.”

A pained look filled the 13-year-old boy’s face. “But… you’ll die.”

Gemma noticed Mackenzie’s agonized expression. She reached out and stroked his cheek. “Everyone dies. Even clones. What’s important is how you live, and what you do with your life. I watched a brave boy stand up to his father and say, ‘If you have the power to make a difference when no one else can, then you have a moral obligation to do so.’” She reached out from her hover pod and hugged Mackenzie. “Thank you for giving me the freedom to make my own choices.” Then, she whispered, “You’d better go now. Once Brandy has recovered, Drake will refocus his attention on your family. Go do whatever you have to do, Kenzie.”


Available in paperback or Kindle exclusively on Amazon.com






Time is running out… fortunately, Mackenzie Mortimer has a few more minutes than anyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment