Thursday, June 16, 2016

I’m Not Good Enough

An Excerpt from The Tomorrow Paradox (Book Two in The Adventures of Mackenzie Mortimer):


Mackenzie glanced up from the park bench where he was sitting with Gemma. Skyscrapers blocked out the clouds and the sun darted between the tall buildings, as if playing a celestial game of hide and seek. “The first time I came here, I was so small that I thought this was a jungle. I was afraid a lion was going to leap out of the bushes and eat me. Now, it’s turned into a concrete jungle.”

Gemma grinned. “At least, you don’t have to worry about lions.”

“You’re the one who looks nervous.”

Gemma fidgeted. “Maybe she’s not coming. Her bodyguards may have stopped her.”

“It’s only a few minutes after four. She might be held up in traffic.”

Gemma wiped away a tear. “It was silly to think she would show up. I’ve seen how she lives; for a few days, I was Brandy Bryant. She has wealth and status; she lives in a mansion with a housekeeper and a chauffeur, and has a room filled with designer clothes and expensive jewelry. Why would someone like that give me a second thought?”

“What are you talking about?”

“I’m a clone. I’ve lived my life in an empty room, sleeping on a cot, wearing a generic clone uniform… Uniform may be too kind a word for a night shirt that comes down to your knees. I’m just saying, Kenzie, I’m not good enough for someone like my original to waste her time with.”

“Don’t ever think that,” Mackenzie snapped. “You’re worth a thousand Brandy Bryants. You’re clever and resourceful, funny, spirited, and you’ve spent so much time on the neural net that you probably know more than anyone I’ve ever met.”

Gemma looked up at him. “You’re sweet, Kenzie.” The clone sighed. “But it doesn’t change the fact she’s not here. I guess we should head back.” Gemma stood.


Available in paperback or Kindle exclusively on Amazon.com






Time is running out… fortunately, Mackenzie Mortimer has a few more minutes than anyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment